In a recent sales-geek conversation, the topic became “power words.” You know the ones that sales people like to throw around:
Solution, Leverage, Partner, Profitability, Demand, Engagement, Value, Endorsement…
And yes, many of those do have an impact when trying to close a deal. In life however, I believe that there is one word that has the most impact on us – in any situation. (Insert drum roll here.) The word is “if.” Simple. With just two letters and one syllable, “if” has more effect on our lives than any other word. Let me give you some examples:
- I could lose weight if I ate healthier.
- My sales could be higher if I made more calls.
- I would get better grades if I studied more.
- We could separate from our competitors if we provided unique value.
- I would stay connected to my friends if I called them more often.
- My credit score would be higher if I stopped spending.
- I’d have more opportunities if I networked more.
- My community could be improved if I contributed time and effort.
- I would have a better reputation if I focused on being a good person.
- I would feel better if I exercised more and got more sleep.
- My boss would appreciate me if I worked harder.
- I would feel more accomplished if I followed through on my plans.
- People would trust me if I kept my word.
- I could learn to play an instrument if I committed myself.
- I would be smarter if I read more.
Addressing the “if” is the best way to change your situation and create a positive impact on your life. And the great news is that the “if” is controlled by you!
So what’s your if?
And what are you gonna do about it?